Wednesday 28 March 2012

Hanging my Paintings

One of the freedoms of working with unstretched canvas is that it can be cut to just about any shape I choose. This is good on one hand but it is not without its problems when it comes to hanging and presenting the finished work. 


On several occasions I have created works where the bottom is significantly wider than the top (e.g. a pyramid shape) or where the sides are wider than the top or bottom (such as a hexagonal shape). This has resulted in the sides of the painting curling over once it has been hung to the extent where the canvas more or less rolls itself up until it reaches the point where the top and bottom of the painting line up on the vertical axis.


This is annoying and is a problem I have yet to overcome satisfactorily. I like the fact that my paintings can be rolled or folded up for transportation so I don't want to use anything that would make the canvas inflexible.


I have considered using of some sort of external support (perhaps wire or metal strips) that would be attached to the back of the painting. However, I don't really want to add any additional materials to the canvas.


Anyway, canvas shape aside, my current means of hanging paintings is with tarpaulin clips like this. The tightening mechanism is really simple and they have a handy hole so can be easily attached to hooks or bolts driven into the wall. Also, I think they fit in well with the overall aesthetic of my work.

Tarpaulin Clip







No comments:

Post a Comment