Wednesday 11 April 2012

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

On our way home from a largely internet free week in the Lake District we called in at one of my favourite stopping off places - The Yorkshire Sculpture Park near Wakefield. In addition to the permanent works situated in the grounds and parkland they have a program of long-running exhibitions in and around the main buildings and the outlying Longside Gallery. I especially love the three, semi-subterranean galleries built into the hillside as part of major redevelopment work in 2005. Not only do they fulfil their function as successful exhibition spaces but they look great architecturally too with their concrete beamed ceilings and glass frontage. 


Underground Galleries (exterior)


The current exhibition occupying these galleries is a survey of Joan MirĂ³ sculptures and prints. I have not seen very much of his work in the flesh and although I enjoyed the sculpture it was some of his large prints that made the biggest impression on me. Foolishly I forgot to make a note of the details of my favourite prints and as photography is not allowed in the galleries I have been trying to search online for images, relying purely on my already fading memory.


Joan MirĂ³ sculptures in one of the three underground galleries.

Two previous exhibitions I greatly enjoyed here were Andy Goldsworthy in 2007 and David Nash in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment