Sunday 11 March 2012

Cheltenham Architecture

Here are some images of a few of my favourite buildings in Cheltenham.


This building (below) dates from 1894 although I read that the top level was added a few years later, around the turn of the century. It was originally built as an electricity sub-station and is said to be roughly modelled on the 15th century Strozzi Palace in Florence. I guess you can see some elements of this but whatever the case, I think it definitely stands up on its own architectural merits through its satisfying proportions and fantastic brick and stone exterior.


The former Central Electricity Lighting Station - now currently the 
Strozzi Palace (Hotel apartments)

Strozzi Palace, Florence


Here is another one. Cheltenham House with its wonderful sweeping curve and 3 piece Barbara Hepworth relief sculpture. The building was completed in 1972 and was the head office of Cheltenham & Gloucester Building Society.

Cheltenham House, 1972

Theme and Variations, Barbara Hepworth, 1969-1972



In St James' Square you can find the 'Engine House' and the old Fire Station. I haven't researched their history but they are both fantastic looking buildings from the outside. I am curious to know what they are like on the inside as these are the sort of buildings that I would love to live in!



Engine House, St James' Square

The Old Fire Station, St James' Square. (Where I would like to live,
along with the Engine House next door!)


Just around the corner we have St James House. I'm not sure of the exact date of this building but it is definitely one of my favourite office buildings in Cheltenham (from the outside anyway).
I find it very satisfying to look at with it's undulating exterior detail.


St James House - nice gently curving walls

St James House, Exterior detail

More to come another time...









1 comment:

  1. You radiate such positivity! Your energy and enthusiasm are truly infectious, making everything brighter wherever you go. Keep shining! Apart from this I provide Serviced Apartments in Cheltenham at affordacble price.



    ReplyDelete