Friday 9 August 2013

Minibrix

Does anybody remember owning or playing with Minibrix?


Minibrix


For those who don't know, Minibrix is a now defunct but fabulously satisfying construction toy made from rubber. It came in a regular brick format and also in Tudor black and white.


Minibrix - Catalogue/Instructions

 According to Minibrix.com, it first entered production in the 1930s before it's final demise in the late1970s when the last remaining factory stock was dumped in a skip - like miniature builder's rubble! There were probably a number of reasons for its downfall although I expect the ascendancy of other construction toys (Lego in particular) would have been a significant factor. This is a shame as it was a well designed product. The bricks fit together strongly and are also very tactile. Furthermore, they make a hugely satisfying pop when you press them together or pull them apart. Another great feature is that unlike Lego they seem to get better with age. The bricks in the set I grew up with have acquired a white chalky looking patina where the rubber has started to slowly break down. 

Anyway, enough words - here are some things I built recently, clearly demonstrating my formidable construction skills and architectural vision.

Lets start with a bunker...

Nic Pehkonen, Bunker

Nic Pehkonen, Bunker (another view)

Continuing the military theme with a pillbox.

Nic Pehkonen, Pillbox

And then an observation tower.

Nic Pehkonen, Observation Tower

Another tower - this time it could be a water tower...

Nic Pehkonen - Water Tower
A factory

Nic Pehkonen, Factory

A chapel maybe...

Nic Pehkonen, Chapel

And then a ruined building.

Nic Pehkonen, Ruined building

Looking inside


...from another angle




...and another



One final interior shot

Lastly, here are a couple of buildings you can make from actual instructions, assuming you have the correct set/s. I think there were seven Minibrix and three Tudor sets in all.

Minibrix - Modern Flats

Minibrix - The Moot Hall, Aldeburgh








3 comments:

  1. Good to find another Minibrix fan! I've just bought a set on ebay and it took me straight back to my childhood. I had been telling people about them and boring them with my enthusiasm for years, but was unable to track them down, as I was spelling it Mini Bricks. Now my grandsons are totally absorbed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you found a set and that you have found some new converts too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the grandchildren round yesterday, and I dug out the 1930s minibrix set that I'd enjoyed playing with as a child when visiting MY grandfather in the 1960s. The grandchildren, and my husband were gripped!

    ReplyDelete